Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving 2008!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Not that a Malaysian boy like me really understands the historical significance of this day. To me, it's a holiday! A day of good food. Followed by crazy 4 am shopping deals (yes, the day after Thanksgiving, also called Black Friday, is the best time of the year for deals. Malls open at 4 am)(Interesting factoid: This is only in the USA, in Canada it was Boxing Day, the day after Christmas).

Anyways, Kristin gave me my very own flavor injector this year! At least I no longer have to swip a syringe and needle from work like I did the previous years. Remember that surgical procedure I did a couple of years ago?

Anyway, it's gonna be a special Thanksgiving this year because my mom, sister are enroute from Malaysia as we speak. We'll be having dinner this weekend, along with my visiting in-laws. So, our house will see family for company!

One interesting work-related Thanksgiving issue that came up. I saw this guy with flushing and diaphoretic episodes yesterday. Probably nothing I can do from the endocrine standpoint, but I should at least try to rule out carcinoid. Sent him home with a urine container for 24-hour urinary 5-HIAA. And then I did a double take, and told him to do the collection only next weekend. Any other week I would not have made this an issue. Though not listed as one of those things that can interfere with the test, I figured with Thanksgiving and all, I didn't want the tryptophan-laden turkey to give a false positive. Perhaps that would be interesting research study?