Wednesday, September 14, 2005

"Never Again"

I saw my first Katrina victim today. Lady who was displaced from New Orleans as a result of the evacuation. I was consulted to see her by one of the surgeons to recommend evaluation of her primary hyperparathyroidism. But, we spent more time talking about how it was for her to go through that nightmare. The fear. For her safety. Those around her. The desperation, for even the simplest of things we take for granted; food, clean drinking water.
Thankfully, she didn't lose anyone in the tragedy.
Her home, last she saw, was still intact. But without anyone there, and with the looting, who knows now?
Probably doesn't matter anyway.
"I'm never going back to New Orleans. Never again." She told me. A tear running down her cheek.
I'm thankful I was able to visit that city earlier this year, for one wonders if it, its people, will ever be the same again.